Monday, April 19, 2010

Well I Never...

Last week I found this unusual flower in the market.  The guys in the market called it Isopogen, and apparently the cone-shaped flower in the picture below is produced after the bloom.








































































The people in the market couldn't tell me much more about the flower so I did a bit of research. According to this website the Isopogen is in the protea family and originated in Australia.

We always love to find new flowers - so finding this wild looking bunch was pretty exciting!

6 comments:

Jacqueline Weppner said...

Oh I *love* it - what a fun "discovery" - I cannot wait to see more of your beautiful arrangements with this pretty (and peculiar) little flower!

Natasha @ Northern Light Design said...

Thank you for sharing! Must learn something new every day ;)

Northern Light

Splenderosa said...

Love your blog which I've just discovered. And love this flower! What great photography.

Green and Bloom said...

Yes this flower is just beautiful, and used very often in the floristry field here in Australia. So glad other parts of the world are finally getting exported some of our rare beauties. :)

kat flower said...

the very same flower caught my eye at the market and was super tempted to get it but alas, had to stay focused...

your arrangement is beautiful. x

dognbird said...

This is awesome! I love learning about new flowers, thank you!